QUICK AND EASY PORK WATERCRESS SOUP
By Christopher Fujimoto
I wanted to make a soup that was relatively identical to the traditional Sumida pork watercress soup recipe, but didn't take as much time as the old one (3-4 hours cook time). With pressure cooker recipes becoming the family favorite for quick, but 'ono one pot meals I decided to try my hand at a quick and easy pork watercress soup utilizing the Instant Pot pressure cooker. This recipe is easy to do and can be ready for the family in under 40 minutes. This recipes makes tender, flavorful pork that could trick your family into thinking you spent hours of labor cooking it down to make it tender.
- 3 lbs. - pork butt or shoulder, cut into large beef stew cut (2" cubes)
- 1 bunch - Sumida Farm watercress, cut into 1 1/2" lengths
- 2 small or 1 large - yellow onion, julienne
- 4 - cloves garlic, minced
- 2" nub - ginger, sliced thin
- 7C - beef stock (I like better than bouillon brand)
- 3T - neutral oil
- 2T - Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 1/2T - ground black pepper
- 1/2C - shoyu (+ more to taste if needed)
- To taste - extra salt and pepper
1. In a large Instant Pot, set to saute / high for 30 minutes
2. Heat the 3T of oil in the Instant Pot and brown the cut pork on all sides until golden. Feel free to season with salt and pepper as well.
3. Once all the pork is browned, set it aside and cook the onions, minced garlic, and ginger scraping the bottom of the Instant Pot to get the fond (caramelized remnants on bottom of the Instant Pot) off and flavor the onions. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add back into the pot the browned pork along with the 2T of salt, 1.5T black pepper, 7C beef stock, and 1/2C shoyu. Close the lid tightly and seal the vent. Press cancel on the saute function and then press pressure cook, set to high, and set the timer to 20 minutes.
5. Once the timer goes off, vent the steam. Open the lid once the pressure is released and throw in the cut Sumida Farm watercress. Allow to wilt for about 2 minutes and then taste the soup. If you feel it needs more seasoning (shoyu, salt, pepper) then add in now to desired taste.
6. Enjoy immediately with rice (if you like) or put the Instant Pot lid back on until ready to serve!
Leave a comment
Please note, comments must be approved before they are published